Messengers to BGCT Annual Meetings have clearly stated their position regarding the issues involved in the sanctity of human life.
- 1980: The BGCT reaffirmed the view of Scripture on the sacredness and dignity of all human life, both born and unborn, and supported legislation prohibiting abortion except to save the life of the mother or in cases of incest or rape.
- 1982: The BGCT repeated the above resolution and also resolved to support legislation that would prohibit the practice of infanticide.
- 1986: The BGCT encouraged all Texas Baptist institutions, cooperating churches and members to work diligently to support counseling, housing, adoption placement services and appropriate health care for women in crisis pregnancy, emphasizing a reconciled relationship with Jesus Christ.
- 1991: The BGCT urged Texas Baptists to oppose the practice of elective abortion and to communicate effectively the biblical instructions concerning sexual responsibility and sanctity of life.
- 1996: The BGCT urged Texas Baptists to continue to publicly oppose any type of abortion as a means of birth control.
- 1997: The BGCT approved a motion to condemn partial birth abortion.
- 1998: The BGCT expressed support for legislation that would require parental consent 48 hours before any abortion could be performed on a minor child. The BGCT also resolved that Baptists teach our children the values and biblical mandate of chastity before marriage, the sanctity of life and the tragedy and sin of elective abortion.
- Abortion on demand is forbidden by the policies of all Texas Baptist hospitals. Pastoral care departments make available counseling and other forms of assistance. BGCT hospitals and partnering hospitals do not endorse nor do they participate in the abortion process. According to the records of the last 30 years, there have been no elective abortions performed in Texas Baptist hospitals.
- Evangelist Billy Graham and other Christian ministries have expressed the same or very similar positions regarding abortion as the BGCT.
The BGCT not only speaks against abortion but also encourages and assists ministries that make possible alternatives to abortion.
- Some Texas Baptist churches sponsor crisis pregnancy centers, which provide Christ-centered pregnancy testing, prenatal care, and counseling in areas of finance, adoption and abortion alternatives, making referrals to residential crisis pregnancy and birthing centers where available. Texas Baptists also help churches with local ministries to assist families who choose alternatives to abortion.