ANDERSON—Texas Baptists Institutional Legacy Day recognized Hardin-Simmons University for over 130 years of exemplary Christian higher education. The recognition, which took place during a worship service at the historic Anderson Baptist Church on Jan. 29, honored the faith and commitment of Hardin-Simmons University in raising up Christian leaders. It also celebrated the partnership between the university and Texas Baptists.
Texas Baptists Associate Executive Director Craig Christina presented the award to Hardin-Simmons President Eric Bruntmyer.
Bruntmyer brought the Sunday message following the award’s presentation.
Hardin-Simmons was founded as Abilene Baptist College in 1891. The school’s name was later changed to reflect the contributions of James B. Simmons and Mary and John G. Hardin. The school has grown to an enrollment of approximately 1,700 students and offers more than 50 undergraduate majors and minors and 13 graduate degrees.
The university has been affiliated with Texas Baptists since 1941.
In 1848, churches gathered together in Anderson, TX, to form the church for the first Texas State Baptist Convention. Then in 1886, five Baptist state conventions merged together in Waco to form the Baptist General Convention of Texas. Since then, Texas Baptists has partnered with more than 27 education, health and human care institutions. Institutional Legacy Day was started in 2018 to celebrate these partners.